With the lightweight, compact and razor-sharp packaging of the KTM 790 DUKE as its starting point, the KTM 890 DUKE R brings out the best in the DUKE thanks to increased power and torque from the new 890 cc engine. Racier ergonomics, performance BREMBO brakes, fully adjustable WP APEX suspension, and enhanced electronic rider aids—just to name a few are the performance features that come standard on the “R.”
It was designed to be a sportier and edgier no-compromise naked motorcycle for conquering twisty mountain roads or hard riding on the racetrack. The KTM 890 DUKE R is the ideal machine for the motorcyclist wanting a more extreme experience or searching for bigger thrills in a compact and agile package.
More power and more torque come from the new engine (119 HP @ 9,250 and 99 Nm @ 7,750 rpm), which has been teamed with ‘racier’ ergonomics, better brakes, and fully adjustable WP APEX suspension. It also has increased compression from the 12.7:1 of the 790 to 13.5:1. It is also 3 kgs lighter than the 790 at 166 kg dry.
Check out our detailed look of the 2020 KTM 890 Duke R for its specs and more photographs.
2020 KTM 890 R DUKE HIGHLIGHTS
- Extremely powerful, torquey parallel twin 890 cc DOHC engine with electronic fuel injection, dual balancer shafts, PASC slipper clutch and Ride-by-Wire for a smoother and more refined response.
- Based on the parallel twin of the KTM 790 DUKE, the engine features an increased bore and stroke, higher compression ratio and rpm ceiling, larger valves and a new piston design coupled with new connecting rods and a new crankshaft, all wrapped in new engine cases.
- New crankshaft with 20% more rotating mass for improved engine character at constant speed and improved cornering stability due to its gyroscopic effect.
- New sensors specifically developed for KTM by DELL’ORTO in each throttle body to measure the manifold pressure and adjust the mixture accordingly, allowing individual mapping control per cylinder.
- New box piston features 10 gram weight reduction despite larger bore, three piston rings and a bronze conrod bearing to support the increased RPM and power.