Triumph Motorcycles recently globally launched the updated 2018 Triumph Tiger 800 XC and XR line-up – one of its best-loved and most critically acclaimed motorcycles ever. The longest running adventure story, with a bloodline that began with the gold-medal winning Tigers of the 1936 International Six Day Trial, continues with a new generation that incorporates all of the trademark Tiger spirit and takes capability to a whole new level.
Major update to off-road capability and all road, all day comfort
- More than 200 upgrades to the chassis and engine
- More responsive, optimised Triple engine
- New shorter Ratio 1st Gear enables enhanced off-road traction, low-speed manoeuvrability and acceleration
- New lighter, free-flowing silencer with improved exhaust note
- New “Off Road Pro” riding mode, with a choice of up to six riding modes
- New five position adjustable screen
New high level of state of the art technology
- New adjustable full colour TFT instruments
- New signature LED lighting
- New illuminated, ergonomically designed, backlit switchgear and five-way joystick control
- New updated cruise control
- All of these add to the Tiger 800’s extensive core state of the art Technology
Major Triple engine update – more responsive, character and sound
- Major engine update of the Tiger’s signature, optimised Triple power plant
- New shorter Ratio 1st Gear
- New lighter, freer flowing exhaust giving better sound
More Tiger style and highest-ever level of finish and detailing
- New premium bodywork
- New high quality badges, graphics and detailing
- New colours
- More contemporary and dynamic stance
The most comprehensive choice available
- Even more choice, with both XR and XC models now even more distinctive and purposeful for their type of adventure
2018 Triumph Tiger 800 family range
The new, significantly updated Tiger 800 XC and XR family has once again pushed the boundaries of this world-renowned range with over 200 chassis and engine upgrades. These are complemented by a suite of major off-road improvements that work hand-in-hand with carefully crafted on-road enhancements.
Triumph has specifically targeted improvements to technology, comfort, and style alongside the introduction of a new generation engine that maximises the rider experience. As a result, the new Tiger 800 is better in every way – both on the road and off road.
Benefits of the new Tiger 800
Major technology advances
Every new Tiger 800 represents a huge step-up in rider technology with improvements including full-colour TFT instruments, up to six riding modes, high-specification Brembo front brakes, optimised suspension configurations, handlebar-mounted switchcubes incorporating elegant backlit buttons, distinctive signature all-LED lighting, updated cruise control, enhanced chassis, and premium bodywork.
Next generation engine
A mass-optimised 800cc Triple engine now gives more immediate power delivery and a peak power output of 95PS. It has even more character and a lighter exhaust system with a sportier soundtrack that together transform the new generation engine. There is a new, shorter ratio first gear to enhance off-road traction, all-road low speed responsiveness, and more immediate acceleration that gives the rider a truly thrilling feel. In addition, the new Off-Road Pro riding mode on the XC models allows an advanced rider to take complete control off road.
An added dimension to comfort
Triumph has enhanced the rider ergonomics across the whole Tiger 800 range. This includes moving the handlebars back by 10mm for a more commanding riding position, higher specification Brembo front brakes, Showa adjustable suspension, new handbook-approved off-road tyre specification fitment, new five-position adjustable windscreen and aero diffusers for segment-leading aero protection, and a new seat compound giving all-day riding comfort.
Tiger signature styling is now even stronger across the latest 800 range. New premium bodywork includes high quality painted finishes with updated side panel designs, along with higher quality badges, graphics and detailing to deliver real presence. This also gives each Tiger a more contemporary and dynamic stance that highlights the on and off-road bias of each model, while retaining the distinctive and instantly recognisable Tiger 800 silhouette.
Tiger 800 core technology
The Tiger 800’s trademark handling and category-defining core technologies are the foundation of this bike’s superb riding experience. All the Tigers’ essential adventure standards are maintained with ABS, traction control, ride-by-wire throttle, cruise control, heated seats and grips (on selected models), power sockets, and a two-position seat height (810-830mm on XR models, 840-860mm on XC models) adjustable by 20mm to suite riding style and terrain, and a low ride height XRx model variant that at 760 mm is 50mm lower than the standard XR range of seats.
Tiger 800 models
From the road-focused Tiger XR, mid spec XRX and range topping XRT, to the off-road hungry Tiger XCX and fully-loaded XCA – not forgetting the XRx low ride height model – there is a Tiger 800 for every person, every ride and every adventure.
Tiger 800 category-defining technology
Specification highlights (varies depending on model)
- 5” adjustable TFT instruments – Full colour, clear instrumentation provides precise rider information with intuitive operation
- New all-LED lighting – Offering improved visibility and enhanced style, LED signature lighting creates clear views in front and behind
- Switchcubes and five-way joystick – New ergonomically designed handlebar switch cubes and joystick are intuitive and comfortable to operate
- Illuminated backlit buttons – Handlebar mounted switchcube buttons are now illuminated, allowing for easier night-time use
- “Off-Road Pro” riding mode – Delivering the most focused off-road set up ever, advanced riders can opt to turn systems off and be in total control
- Brembo front brakes – Twin Brembo front brakes deliver reliable, premium capability in all conditions
- Five-way adjustable wind screen and aero diffusers – Single hand adjustable windscreen, delivering enhanced wind protection for category leading rider aero comfort
- Updated cruise control – Accessed easily through the left hand switchcube, the simple-to-use, single button cruise control helps reduce rider fatigue
CORE TECHNOLOGY FEATURES include:
- Distinctive 800cc three cylinder engine with ride-by-wire electronic throttle control
- Up to six riding modes
- Heated rider and pillion seats
- Sump and radiator guards
- Switchable ABS and traction control
- Tailored ergonomics – adjustable seat height and handlebar position
- Onboard computer
- Premium adjustable front and rear suspension
- Centre stand
- Heated grips
- Hand guards
- Engine protection bars
- Power sockets (1 x 12v, 1 x USB)