With the new R 18, BMW Motorrad now enters the cruiser segment. Like no other BMW motorcycle before it, this model stands entirely in the tradition of historical BMW motorcycles – both technically and in terms of design style. It borrows from famous models such as the BMW R 5, shifting the focus back onto the motorcycle essentials: purist, no-frills technology and the boxer engine as the epicentre of riding pleasure, combined with “good vibrations”.
The centrepiece the new BMW R 18 is a newly developed 2-cylinder boxer engine – the “Big Boxer”. Both its impressive appearance and its technology reflect a continuation of the traditional air-cooled boxer engines that have offered an inspiring riding experience since BMW Motorrad began production in 1923. The most powerful 2-cylinder boxer engine ever used in motorcycle series production has a displacement of 1802 cc. The peak output is 67 kW (91 hp) at 4750 rpm. From 2,000 to 4,000 rpm, over 150 Nm of torque is available at all times, and this elemental pulling power is combined with a full, resonant sound.
The new R 18 also offers the three standard riding modes “Rain”, “Roll” and “Rock” – unusual in this segment – so as to be able to adapt to individual rider preferences. The standard trim also includes ASC (Automatic Stability Control, disengageable), which ensures a high level of riding safety. In addition, the new R 18 is equipped as standard with engine drag torque control (MSR). Among other options, a reverse assist makes manoeuvring convenient, while the Hill Start Control function facilitates uphill starts.
Highlights of the new BMW R 18 cruiser
- Iconic style blending modern technology with authentic materials.
- Biggest ever BMW boxer engine with a capacity of 1802 cc.
- Output 67 kW (91 hp) at 4750 rpm, maximum torque 158 Nm at 3000 rpm.
- More than 150 Nm available at all times from 2000 to 4000 rpm.
- Exposed drive-shaft based on the classic role model.
- Elaborately crafted double-loop steel tube frame.
- Rear swingarm with enclosed axle drive in rigid-frame design.
- Telescopic fork with sleeves and cantilever suspension strut featuring travel-dependent damping.
- Harmonious ergonomics for relaxed riding and optimum control.
- Disc brakes front and rear, with wire-spoked wheels.
- State-of-the-art LED lighting technology, classically interpreted.
- Adaptive turning light for even better illumination of the road when cornering as an ex factory option.
- Classically designed circular instrument with integrated display.
- Keyless Ride for convenient function activation by remote control.
- Three standard riding modes, ASC and MSR.
- Reverse assist for convenient manoeuvring and Hill Start Control for easy hill starts as ex factory options.
- The R 18 First Edition: exclusive look in paint and chrome.
- Extensive range of optional extras and Original BMW Motorrad Accessories as well as a cool Ride & Style Collection.