Suzuki Motor Corporation has announced that it will participate in the MotoGP class of the world’s top motorcycle racing series, the FIM Road Racing Grand Prix (MotoGP), from 2015, at the press conference of the INTERMOT International Motorcycle, Scooter and Bicycle Fair held in Cologne, Germany from 30 September to 5 October, 2014.
With the development of the MotoGP machine and team structure prepared, Suzuki has decided to participate in the MotoGP series from 2015, and announced its newly-developed MotoGP machine, the GSX-RR, team riders, and team structure. Also, prior to its participation, Suzuki will make a wildcard appearance at this season’s final race, the Valencia GP.
Suzuki had temporarily suspended its participation in MotoGP from 2012, but has been continuing with the machine development toward its return. Through MotoGP racing, Suzuki will develop more attractive products by giving technical feedback to the products, and improve the brand image.
Suzuki MotoGP machine GSX-RR
- The development of the GSX-RR was started in 2012 with the aim to achieve high performance in the MotoGP class, as well as to give technology feedback to production models such as the GSX-R range.
- It utilises a newly-developed in-line four-cylinder engine that realizes a strong, flexible engine character, fuel efficiency, and durability at a high level.
- The frame has a layout that keeps its width slim for both maneuverability and aerodynamic performances, and optimizes body strength and weight balance.
- The aim was to develop a highly competitive MotoGP machine that can bring out the straightforward maneuverability developed over the years with the GSX-R.
Basic specification of the GSX-RR:
- Overall length x width x height: 2,096 mm x 720 mm x 1,140 mm.
- Wheelbase: 1,457 mm.
- Body weight: 160 kg (based on FIM regulation).
- Engine type: Water-cooled, four-stroke in-line four-cylinder, DOHC four-valve.
- Displacement: 1,000 cm3.
- Maximum output: Over 169 kw (230 PS).
- Frame type: Twin-spar aluminum.
- Tyres (front/rear): 16.5in/16.5in.
- Front suspension: Ohlins, inverted fork.
- Rear suspension: Ohlins.
- Brakes (front/rear): Carbon disk/steel disk, Brembo.
- Team name: Team Suzuki MotoGP.
- Team riders: Aleix ESPARGARO (Spain): currently racing in MotoGP/ Maverick VIÑALES (Spain): currently racing in Moto2.
- Team Manager: Davide BRIVIO (Italy): current test team manager.