The Yamaha MT range is constantly evolving and within one year after the launch of the new MT-09, Yamaha has launched a new version called the 2018 Yamaha MT-09 SP. The SP suffix is reserved for a small number of exclusive Yamaha models including the MT-10 SP that offer a premium specification with an emphasis on sport performance.
Yamaha’s designers have specially designed an Öhlins rear shock absorber for the new 2018 Yamaha MT-09 SP. This premium rear suspension system offers higher levels of adjust-ability via an easily accessible remote adjuster, allowing riders to fine tune their settings and achieve class-leading handling performance and enhanced controllability.
MT-09 SP owners also have the possibility to fine-tune their suspension set up with a range of optional Öhlins rear springs that are available in a range of different rates from the Genuine Yamaha accessories line-up. By fitting an optional rear spring that matches their riding style and weight, every owner can create their ultimate suspension system.
Both the MT-09 and MT-09 SP are fitted with Kayaba front forks. The standard MT-09 has adjustable front forks where one leg is for rebound and the other is for compression. The MT-09 SP has adjustable front forks where both legs can be adjusted for rebound and compression damping, and this difference allows more fine-tuning of the front suspension settings.
To complement its premium specification, the 2018 Yamaha MT-09 SP is finished in an exclusive Silver Blu Carbon colour scheme that matches the design featured on the MT-10 SP.
Also unlike most other bikes in the class, the MT-09 SP’s special LCD instrument panel displays white information against a black background, giving higher levels of clarity during daytime riding. As well as its practical advantages, this high quality panel refines this class-leading motorcycle’s impressive appearance.
2018 Yamaha MT-09 SP features
- New Öhlins remotely adjustable rear shock
- Fully adjustable front forks with rebound and compression damping
- Exclusive MT-10 SP inspired Silver Blu Carbon colour scheme
- Blue stitched seams on seat
- Blue wheels with SP graphics
- Class-leading handling performance
- Black handlebar controls and instruments
2018 Yamaha MT-09 SP key specifications
- 115 PS @ 10,000 rpm, 87.5 Nm @ 8,500 rpm
- 193 kg wet
- 847 cc, 3-cylinder crossplane engine
- Quick Shift System for clutchless upshifts (QSS)
- Assist and Slipper clutch (A&S)
- D-MODE adjustable engine character
- Lightweight aluminium frame and swing arm
- Aggressive LED twin-eye headlights
- Switchable Traction Control System (TCS)
- Swingarm mounted licence plate holder
- LED position lights
- Colour: Silver Blu Carbon