The Sachsenring GP showed us why Dani Pedrosa should not be taken for granted. The Repsol rider along with his team mate Stoner were quick to find good pace that kept Lorenzo at bay for almost the entire race. Pedrosa had taken the early top spot, but a very aggressive Stoner made a tight overtake to take the lead. But come the 18th lap and Pedrosa made way to the front with a clean overtake and remained there for the entire race. An attacking Stoner lost his front end on the second last lap which lead to a low side and he could not finish the race. This helped Lorenzo who was quite the distance behind claim a freebie second catapulting him to the lead in the points table.
The battle for third kept the race alive. Dovizioso, Spies and Crutchlow were fighting hard until what seemed like a mistaken shift to neutral by Crutchlow in the 25th lap making him run off track. Dovizioso kept his cool and kept an attacking Spies at bay till the end who was just a mere 0.071 seconds behind.
Stefan Bradl finished 5th behind Spies after a hard fought battle with the Ducati riders and in the final stages with Alvaro Bautista and Crutchlow. Rossi managed his best dry result yet on the Ducati with a 6th position finish followed by Bautista and Crutchlow. Hector Barbera put in some dedicated hard riding to finish ahead of Hayden, and tailed Crutchlow by just under a second.
Randy de Puniet was the fastest CRT rider followed by Colin Edwards and were almost a minute behind the prototypes.
MotoGP Sachsenring Race results
- 01. Dani Pedrosa — Repsol Honda Team — Honda RC213V — 30 laps in 41’28.396
- 02. Jorge Lorenzo — Yamaha Factory Racing — Yamaha YZR M1 — + 14.996
- 03. Andrea Dovizioso — Monster Yamaha Tech 3 — Yamaha YZR M1 — + 20.669
- 04. Ben Spies — Yamaha Factory Racing — Yamaha YZR M1 — + 20.740
- 05. Stefan Bradl — LCR Honda MotoGP — Honda RC213V — + 27.893
- 06. Valentino Rossi — Ducati Team — Ducati Desmosedici GP12 — + 28.050
- 07. Alvaro Bautista — San Carlo Honda Gresini — Honda RC213V — + 28.246
- 08. Cal Crutchlow — Monster Yamaha Tech 3 — Yamaha YZR M1 — + 28.447
- 09. Hector Barbera — Pramac Racing Team — Ducati Desmosedici GP12 — + 29.053
- 10. Nicky Hayden — Ducati Team — Ducati Desmosedici GP12 — + 29.226
- 11. Randy De Puniet — Power Electronics Aspar — ART GP12 — + 53.176
- 12. Colin Edwards — NGM Mobile Forward Racing — Suter BMW — + 58.204
- 13. Aleix Espargaro — Power Electronics Aspar — ART GP12 — 1’04.654
- 14. Yonny Hernandez — Avintia Blusens — BQR MotoGP — + 1’13.543
- 15. James Ellison — Paul Bird Motorsport — ART GP12 — + 1’30.318
- 16. Franco Battaini — Cardion AB Motoracing — Ducati Desmosedici GP12 — 1 lap
- 17. Ivan Silva — Avintia Blusens — BQR MotoGP — 1 lap
- 18. Danilo Petrucci — CAME Iodaracing Project — Ioda TR003 — 1 lap