Tom Sykes wrote himself into the history books when he claimed his eighth win in a row at Donington Park but was pushed hard for it by Kawasaki team-mate Jonathan Rea.
The Kawasaki duo were engaged in a furious battle for the lead from lap two onward after Chaz Davies ran wide at Goddards to let Rea through with Sykes leading. The championship leader put in a record lap to catch his team-mate and pass him down the inside at Melbourne Hairpin with four laps to go but hit a false neutral at the final corner which forced him to run wide and let Sykes back through.
The move drove Sykes to put in consistently quick laps to gap Rea and ensure there was no last-lap theatrics. Sykes eighth victory in a row at Donington Park in WSBK now equals Carl Fogarty’s all-time record for most consecutive wins at one venue (Fogarty’s eight in a row was at Assen between 1993-96).
As the lights went out, Sykes got the hole-shot while Davies wheelied off the line but recovered to keep second place with Rea moving into third. At the end of the first lap and as it was in race one, Sykes and Davies ran wide at Goddards with Sykes maintaining his position while Rea overtook Davies for second. Davies gratefully grabbed third place 4.4 seconds off the winner after a disastrous first race. Lorenzo Savadori claimed his best result of the season with fourth place on the IodaRacing Aprilia.
WSBK Donington Park race results for Race 2
1. Tom Sykes GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 23 laps
2. Jonathan Rea GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R +2.017s
3. Chaz Davies GBR Aruba.it Racing Ducati 1199R +4.437s
4. Lorenzo Savadori ITA IodaRacing Aprilia RSV4 +6.423s
5. Leon Camier GBR MV Agusta RC F4 RR +11.808s
6. Nicky Hayden USA Honda Racing CBR1000RR +12.455s
7. Davide Giugliano ITA Aruba.it Racing Ducati 1199R +24.212s
8. Michael van der Mark NED Honda Racing CBR1000RR +25.931s
9. Josh Brookes AUS Milwaukee BMW S1000RR +26.512s
10. Cameron Beaubier USA PATA Crescent Yamaha R1 +26.955s
11. Jordi Torres ESP Althea BMW S1000RR +29.684s
12. Anthony West FRA Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R +35.433s
13. Roman Ramos ESP GO Eleven Kawasaki ZX-10R +35.862s
14. Xavi Fores ESP Barni Ducati 1199R +39.240s
15. Alex de Angelis RSM IodaRacing Aprilia RSV4 +45.790s
16. Markus Reiterberger GER Althea BMW S1000RR +46.252s
17. Luca Scassa ITA VFT Ducati 1199R +56.488s
18. Dominic Schmitter SUI Grillini Kawasaki ZX-10R +78.282s
19. Pawel Szkopek POL Team Toth Yamaha R1 +83.479s