Tom Sykes has extended his winning streak at Donington Park in World Superbikes (WSBK) to an incredible seven races in a dramatic first race which saw Chaz Davies fall twice and out of contention. Rea also run off track besides being plagued by false neutrals which limited his progress to third.
After a difficult start from pole position Sykes was roughed up and dropped back to fourth. Early race drama was to unfold ahead as Chaz Davies crashed at Goddards on lap seven while leading fellow Kawasaki rider Rea also ran wide at the same corner a few laps later to drop from second to fourth.
Misfortunes all around promoted Sykes into second and he hunted down the leader Davide Giugliano, passing him on the 18th lap and then went on to take victory by almost three seconds. Rea held on to continue his feat of finishing on the podium in every race so far this year and holding onto the championship lead ahead of Davies.
WSBK Donington Park race results for Race 1
1. Tom Sykes GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 23 laps
2. Davide Giugliano ITA Aruba.it Racing Ducati 1199R +2.869s
3. Jonathan Rea GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R +9.808s
4. Leon Camier GBR MV Agusta RC F4 RR +13.747s
5. Nicky Hayden USA Honda Racing CBR1000RR +14.007s
6. Lorenzo Savadori ITA IodaRacing Aprilia RSV4 +14.640s
7. Jordi Torres ESP Althea BMW S1000RR +16.337s
8. Michael van der Mark NED Honda Racing CBR1000RR +16.535s
9. Karel Abraham CZE Milwaukee BMW S1000RR +36.874s
10. Anthony West FRA Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R +39.074s
11. Markus Reiterberger GER Althea BMW S1000RR +41.144s
12. Xavi Fores ESP Barni Ducati 1199R +41.275s
13. Roman Ramos ESP GO Eleven Kawasaki ZX-10R +48.094s
14. Josh Brookes AUS Milwaukee BMW S1000RR +50.125s
15. Dominic Schmitter SUI Grillini Kawasaki ZX-10R +78.008s
16. Pawel Szkopek POL Team Toth Yamaha R1 +89.605s
17. Saeed al Sulaiti QAT Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R +1 lap
18. Imre Toth HUN Team Toth Yamaha R1 +2 laps